Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day 2008



Father's Day begins with the guys getting up early and heading off to play a round of golf. The girls stay home with the kids, lounge around, make breakfast, lounge around and prepare the feast for the hungry men when they arrive home. Uncle Mark, Aunt Debbi and Trevor came over and as always had a nice time. Eating and talking - can you ask for more? Darren's Dad, Ed has been such a generous and kind Father to Darren and myself. He is always taking care of us in one way or another. His family is first and foremost in his life. We are so fortunate to have him in our lives.

I think about my Dad and what it might be like if he were still alive. I like to think back on how much fun my Dad was. He let us do crazy things like have sleepovers on the flat part of our roof. We used to sleep on lounge chairs in sleeping bags and wake up to dew all over us. We would look at the two big sycamore trees and make out the images in the leaves and branches. To get up and down we used a wooden ladder that he made, I'm sure nice and sturdy. He bought me a pony for my 8th b.day - we lived in the city and wasn't allowed to keep him. Dad let me keep him on the weekends in the backyard, but off he went during the week to a place in Norco to board. Did I mention that to transport Rusty, Dad took the back seat out of my Sister's car (a Chevy of some sort) and the pony's head stuck out one window and his backside the other. I could just imagine how that looked driving down the road. I could go on forever about the crazy stuff he did. I do know that as a kid we just don't appreciate what we have until we are older and their gone. I do miss the happy times with my Dad. He raised me after my Mom died and I think that considering what he had to work with, he did a great job. I wish that I had a picture to share.
I love you Dad. Thanks for everything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bohemian chic said...

For heavens sake are you trying to kill me with that one. I was not prepared to get all choked up, I just wanted to see the updates on your blog. I will be back, need a tissue.

June 18, 2008 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Kerry - what great remembrances of Dad. By the way, it was a grey/white '56 Olds, and boy was it stinky driving that car to work on Mondays! I have a picture of Rusty in the car somewhere - I'll scan and send to you.

Here's a crazy memory that was before you.....Dad let pre-teens brother Greg and cousin Cliff ride in the trunk of that car from Orange to Long Beach. The trunk was held mostly closed by rope with maybe a 3" gap for air. Dad got pulled over by a cop on the freeway - seems the boys were using a flashlight on the cars behind them - busted!!!!

Love ya......Shell

June 19, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home